SENIOR PROF. T. JAYASINGAM
Senior Prof. T. Jayasingam
BSc (Hons.) (UPDN), PhD (Wales,), LLB (OUSL), Charter Biologist (IOB/Sri Lanka), Attorney at Law
Senior Professor of Botany
Department of Botany
Faculty of Science
Eastern University, Sri Lanka
Telephone: +94 65 2240490 ext 1205 (office), +94 773 059 927 (mobile)
Fax: +94 65 2240758
Full Name: Thangamuthu Jayasingam
Date of Birth: 29 January 1955
Official Address: Department of Botany, Faculty of Science, Eastern University, Chenkalady - 30350, Sri Lanka
Academic Position : Professor of Botany
Period of service : 34 years since 1981 at EUSL; 37 Years in University system
Academic qualifications: BSc (Hons.) (UPDN), PhD (Wales,), LLB (OUSL), Charter Biologist(IOB/Sri Lanka), Attorney at Law
|Degree(s) or Diploma(s) obtained|
|University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Feb 1973 – July 1977
| Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew, England
April 2002-June 2002
|Int Diploma- Herbarium Techniques|
|University of Stockholm, 1996||Certificate in Remote sensing|
|Australian National University , 2002||Certificate in GIS|
Relevant /Other Trainings
- Workshops on conflict resolutions, Austria
- Civilian Peace Keeping, Austria, 2004
- EU training in ‘Good Governance’ Paris, 2004
- Negotiation Skills by SEA, Singapore
- Ecological Economics by University of Bath
- Result Based Management - CIDA, 2008
International and National Development Projects (Selected)
- 2009- Batticaloa lagoon fisheries dynamics, NECCDEP
- 2007 – Team Leader, eastern Province. Assessment of Tsunami damage to coastal ecosystems of eastern province and development of guidelines for integrated coastal area management, FAO.
- 2005 – Team Leader (Eastern Province). United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, Sri Lanka (2005): Post–Tsunami Environmental Assessment for Batticaloa district.
- 2004 – National Consultant, Park Development. Department of Wildlife Conservation
- 2001 – Consultant, North East Coastal Community Development Project (NECCDEP), Eastern Province Physical Planning Project ( design phase)
- 2000, Master plan for Batticaloa lagoon, BIRRP
International publications (selected)
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2014). Impact of flood on Rhizophora plantation in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka. Journal of Medical and Bioengineering. (3) 2: 117-121, Engineering and Technology Publishing (ETP, ISSN 2301-3796).
- Jayasingam, T. (2013) Restoration of natural Ecosystems-Myth, Mirage and Reality in Proc. 2nd International Conference on Ecological, Environmental and Bio Sciences (ICEEB’s 2013), Bali, Dec 20-21.
- Birkmann, J., Fernando, N., Jayasingam, T. et al(2006)Rapid and Multidimensional vulnerability assessment in Sri Lanka at the local level . Bonn:UNU: IEHS, 109, UNU
- Birkmann, J., Fernando, N., Jayasingam, T. et al(2007)Rapid Vulnerability assessment in Sri Lanka-Post Tsunami study of two cities; Galle and Batticaloa. UNU, Institute of Environment and Human security, BONN, 84, UNU
- Jayasingam, T. (1998) Bio Industry - The Policy, Economy and Politics. Proc. International Symposium on Bio Industry. Thanjavur, India, January 8-10-1998
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam, T. (1996) The effect of pot size and mulch on planting stock of exotic and indigenous species in Sri Lanka. Proc. International. Symp. On Recent Advances in Tropical Seed Technology and Planting Stock Production, 12-14 June 1995, Haad Yai, Thailand.
- Jayasingam, T. and Vivekanantharajah, S. (1994) Vegetation Survey of the Wasgomuwa National Park: Analysis of Wasgomuwa oya forest, Vegetatio, 113, 1-8
- Jayasingam, T. (1993) Vegetation Survey, a base for Park Management Wasgomuwa National Park.Proc. International Symposium on "Ecology and Landscape management in Sri Lanka", Colombo 12-26 March 1990. Margaraf Scientific Books, Weikersheim, Germany
- Jayasingam, T., Balasubramaniam, S. and Vivekanantharajah, S. (1992) Vegetation Survey of the Wesgomuwa National Park; Reconnnaisance, Vegetatio, 101, 2, 171-182.
National publications (Selected)
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2011). Impacts of natural and human disturbances on the density of tree species in selected mangrove ecosystem in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka. Journal of Science and Management. Vavuniya Campus of the University of Jaffna. ISSN 2012-6131. (3). 107-115.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2010). Environment in Post-war Development: Road Expansion and Loss of Trees in Batticaloa. Abstract of papers. 9th Annual Research Session (ARS),Eastern University Sri Lanka. p 43.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2010). Impacts of Disturbances on Floristic Composition of Selected Mangrove Ecosystems in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka. The national Conference on identification of knowledge gaps for sustainable management of mangrove ecosystems in Sri Lanka. University of Ruhuna. Abstract of papers. p 3.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2004). Preliminary investigation on abundance of seagrass bed, Thalassia hemprichii at Koneshapuri, Trincomalee. The Sri Lanka Forester (27). p. 21-26.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2003). Preliminary investigation of ecosystem of fresh-saline water marshes (“Thonas”) in the east coast of Batticaloa. 3rd Annual Research Session (ARS), Eastern University, Sri Lanka. Selected papers. p. 122-139.
- Jayasingam T. (2002) War and Environment- Sri Lankan Perspective, Presidential address (section D), in Proc. Annual sessions of Sri Lanka Association for Advancement of Science, Moratuwa, Dec 2001
- Umaramani,P., Arasanilai, S.J and Jayasingam,T. (2001) Preliminary Investigation of storage quality of processed cashew apple by using locally available methods (ARS 2001). IN Proc. Annual Research Session (ARS), Eastern University, Sri Lanka
- Umaramani, P. Arasanila, S.J., Jayasingam,T. (2001) Storage potential of half ripen tomatoes using different packaging (ARS 2001). In Proc. Annual Research Session (ARS), Eastern University, Sri Lanka.
- Jayasingam, T. (1998) Vegetation of Wasgomuwa National Park: Analysis of Riverine vegetation. The Sri Lanka Forester XXIII, Nos. 1 and 2 (new series)
- Jayasingam, T. (1998) Transformation dynamics of the Damana Grasslands, Sri Lanka: Field study and a model synthesis. The Sri Lanka Forester XXIII, Nos. 1 and 2 (new series)
- Jayasingam, T., Balasubramanium, S. and Dassanayake, M.D. (1977) Trees of Kandy: 1. Around the lake. Phyta, Journal of the Botanical Society, University of Peradeniya. 2.1
- Jayasingam, T. and Balasubramaniyam, S. (1976) Some beautiful flowering trees of the campus. Phyta, Journal of the Botanical Society, University of Peradeniya. 1.
- Vathsala, T., Arasanila, S.J. and Jayasingam,T. (2001) Effect of raw materials and aeration in the preparation of compost (ARS 2001)
- Uthayasrithar, U., Arasanilai, S.J. and Jayasingam, T. (2001) Preliminary study of microbial distribution in mangrove ecosystem at Mattikaly Aru in the Batticaloa District. .(ARS 2001)
- Jayasingam, T. and Selvanayagam, R. (1994) Reproductory efficiency of Cashew (Anacardium occidentale) in the first bearing season. The sandy regosols at Vantharumoolai (Agroecological region DL3-). Sri Lanka Assn. Adv. Science. December 1994
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam, T. (1993). Effect of volume and mulch on seedling establishment in green house. Sri Lanka Assn. Adv. Science, December 1993
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam,T. (1992). Early performance of some exotic and indigenous tree species Regosols at Vantharumoolai. ABSTRACT. 48th Annual Sessions of Sri Lanka Assn. Adv.Science. December 1992.
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam,T. (1992). The effect of fertilizer and water on the growth of some exotic and indigenous tree species grown on regosols at Vantharumoolai. Annual Sessions of the Sri Lanka Assn. Adv. Science, December 1992
Conferences, Symposiums and Workshops (Selected)
- Jayasingam, T. (2014) ‘COLOURLESS FLOWERS’ in Int. symposium on ‘pollinators’, Peradeniya, June 2014
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2010). Impacts of Disturbances on Floristic Composition of Selected Mangrove Ecosystems in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka. The national Conference on identification of knowledge gaps for sustainable management of mangrove ecosystems in Sri Lanka. University of Ruhuna, Sri Lanka.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2009). Coastal green belt in Batticaloa district: Is Casuarina a success? An abstract paper. International Forestry and Environment, Symposium 2009, Sri Lanka. Proceedings Part-1, Abstract of papers. p 7.
- Mathiventhan, T. and Jayasingam, T. (2003). Preliminary investigation on abundance of seagrass at Koneshapuri, Trincomalee. International workshop on Environmental Management in North – East of Sri Lanka. University of Jaffna, Eastern University and The Economic Consultancy House (TECH), Sri Lanka.
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam, T. (1995). Reforestation of shrubland: Analysis of regosols at Batticaloa.Proc. National Symposium on Soil Quality: Assessment of degradation and restoration. 3-25 March 94, University of Kelaniya, Sri Lanka
- Jayasingam, T. (2000), Casuarina equisetifolia - "A crop for wood energy in Eastern University, Sri Lanka", Forestry Symposium 22-23, December 2000, Sri Lanka
- Jayasingam, T. (2000) "Bio-Policies and Bio-Politics of an Estuary- Batticaloa Lagoon". National workshop on Esturine Biology, 24-26 March 2000, Sri Lanka Rajeeshan, S. Jayasingam,T (2000) Preliminary study report on mangroves of Pankudaweli. Workshop on Esturine Biology, 24-26 March 2000, Sri Lanka
- Rabeendran, N. and Jayasingam, T. (1994). Reforestation of shrub-land: Analysis of regosols at Batticaloa. ABSTRACT. Workshop on -Soil Quality: Assessment of degradation and restoration-, 23-25 March 94, SLFI, Colombo
Reports and Books (Selected)
- Jayasingam, T (2009) Environmental Profile of Eastern Province. Biodiversity Secretariat, Ministry of Environment and Natural resources.
- Jayasingam, T & Wijesundara, D S A(2007)Sustainability of Medicinal Plant extraction and its impact on Savannah Grassland ecology in Nilgala _DWC.
- Jayasingam, T & Padmalal, U K G (2007)Seasonal Variation in Availability and palatability of food plants for herbivores in Minneriya National Park.DWC
- Nallarajah, N & Jayasingam T (2001) Economic Evaluation of Depletion of Mangroves in Batticaloa District, Ministry of National Planning, Colombo
- Jayasingam, T. (1999) Prawn Farming for Batticaloa Concept and realities. Golden Jubilee Souvenir, December 1999, Bank of Ceylon, Batticaloa
- Jayasingam, T. (1995) Status of Protected Area Systems in Sri Lanka. GEF Project Report (Department of Wildlife Conservation/ UNDP), Sri Lanka, October 1995.
- Jayasingam, T. (1991) Preliminary survey of the vegetation of the Wasgomuwa National Park. Mahaweli Environment Project Report 142/A/1. Department of Wildlife Conservation/ USAID (Sri Lanka) Pp 90
- Jayasingam,T. (1985) Comparative demography of species of Compositae in a permanent pasture. Ph.D Thesis, University of Wales.
- Population Biology
- Climate change
- Environmental Impacts Assessments
- Natural Resources Management
- Peace and reconciliation
- Population Biology
- Wood Ecology, Weed Ecology
- Vegetation Sciences
- GIS and Remote sensing
- Postgraduate supervision – MSc (2-UMB-Norway, OUSL), MPhil (3-EUSL), PhD (4-EUSL)
- 1982 – Commonwealth Scholarship, Wales UK – PhD
- 2002- Commonwealth Fellow- University of Oxford
- Haritha National Environmental Award 2010
Position at the International Level
- Member of the IUCN, committee 2013-
- Member of the Indian Dairy Association 2011-
- Country Expert, Climate Change 1998
- Referee - VEGETATIO journal
- Examiner – Bharathiyar University, Annamalai University, India
Positions held at National Level
- Member of the National Forestry Research Committee
- Member of the National Committee on Fauna and Flora Protection
- Member of the National Committee on Biodiversity
- Member of the SethuSamudram Committee
- Member of the Marine Environment Council
- Member of the National Biodiversity Committee
- Director, National Peace Council
- Director, JUGAS AGRO DAIRIES (pvt) Ltd
- Member standing committee on PG Studies/UGC
- President, Section(d) Sri Lanka Association for the Advancement of Science
- Editorial Committee, National Atlas
- Country Representative Climate Change -1998
Positions held at Eastern University
- Actg Vice Chancellor periodically
- Rector, Trincomalee Campus 2001-2003
- Dean, Faculty of Science 1999-2001
- Head, Department of Botany 1987-1998
- Member of Council 1989-92,1996-2003
- Member of Senate 1987-92, 1994-2003
- Warden, Mens Hostel
- Chairperson, Sports Advisory Board
- Senior Treasurer , Students Union
- President , Senior Common Room Society
- President, Teachers Association of Eastern University
- Obtained 200 acres for the Trincomalee Campus as 1st Rector
- Obtained the Resthouse and OCB building for Trincomalee
- Designing of the laboratories at EUSL in 1981
- Designing of the Science Block at EUSL 1987
- Designed the B SC in Science Education
- Designed the B Sc in Environmental Sciences
- Initiated the Special degree in Botany 1987
- Organised the 1st ARS and International Conference
- Designing the Graduate Studies faculty 2014
- Visiting Lecturer
1. University of Colombo
2. University of Jaffna
- External Examiner
1. University of Jaffna,
2. Ruhunu University
- Officer in Charge of the Vantharumoolai Refugee Camp in 1990(40000 inmates)
- Established the First Private Factory in the Province for Dairy Processing
- Member of the Batticaloa Peace Committee
- Consultant to Municipal Council on Environment